Valley STEM + ME2 Academy-Coursework
Mission: To prepare students with the skills necessary to compete in the global economy while nurturing the characteristics of discovery, invention, application, and entrepreneurship.
The curriculum in Valley STEM + ME2 Academy was chosen to guide students in the mission of the program. Data from the current job market, student interests, and college/career readiness guides curriculum choices. Valley STEM + ME2 incorporates Project Lead the Way (PLTW) as the foundation for part of the curriculum. Project Lead The Way is the nation’s leading provider of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs. In addition to PLTW, Advanced Career/Clean Energy Technology will be taught throughout the two-year program.
- Clean Energy Technology 1
- Robotics 1 (Inventor, RobotC, Gears, Virtual Builds, Competitions)
- Exploratory Engineering, divided into 4, 9-week courses: First 9 Weeks: The Design Process, Sketching and Drawing, BlueprintReading, Dimensioning, Research Engineering 1 • Second 9 Weeks: Inventor, Simple Machines, Bridge Building, FrameAnalysis in Inventor/MD Solids, Research Engineering 2 • Third 9 Weeks: AC/DC Circuits, Parallel and Series Circuits, Breadboarding, Soldering, Research Engineering 3 • Fourth 9 Weeks: Research Engineering 4, Capstone Project
- Computer Software 1 (PLTW)
- English Language Arts 9, or English Language Arts 9 Honors
- Math (course depends on 8th grade math credit; per Ohio Department of Education Graduation Requirements)
- World History or Honors World History
- Biology or Honors Biology
- PE and Health: Taken online semester 2, unless transcripted credit given at the middle school level per ODE Graduation Requirements (½ unit Health, ½ unit PE). Students have the option to take summer school prior to attending, or take the online coursework the summer prior to starting Valley STEM. Credit Flex options available as well per school policy.