MCCTC Guidance Department
Arts and Global Counselor
Machine Academy Counselor
What to Expect From The School Counselor
The mission for Valley Stem + Me2 Academy and Mahoning County Career & Technical Center School Counseling program is to provide a proactive, comprehensive, and developmentally appropriate program to address students' academic and career goals in addition to supporting their personal and social needs. This is accomplished through a partnership with parents/guardians, staff, and community members which will enable all students to gain 21st century skills and be successful, productive citizens and lifelong learners in a diverse and changing world.
The school counselors at Valley Stem + Me2 Academy and Mahoning County Career & Technical Center believe:
- All students will be respected and are supported in achieving their goals and reaching their highest potential.
- Every student should graduate from high school and achieve their post-secondary goals through enrolling, enlisting, and/or employment.
- All students will have access to high-quality school counseling services, provided by a full-time licensed, professional school counselor.
- All students’ academic and personal needs, as well as any ethnic, cultural, racial differences, are considered in the design and delivery of school counseling services.
- All students should be provided with a school climate that is accepting, safe, and nurturing environment.
The Valley Stem + Me2 Academy and Mahoning County Career & Technical Center Comprehensive School Counseling Program:
- Is an essential part of the total educational process of The Valley Stem + Me2 Academy and Mahoning County Career & Technical Center.
- Is planned and coordinated through collaboration with all the school counselors.
- Is accessible to all students to assist and support them with personal-social, educational, and career counseling needs.
- Encourage and energize student learning.
- Promotes supportive and positive parental involvement in the schools.
- Helps build a positive school environment by encouraging collaboration among counselors, teachers, administrators, parents, and the community to further student achievement.
All counselors at The Valley Stem + Me2 Academy and Mahoning County Career & Technical Center:
Are guided by the Ethical Standards of American School Counseling Association and the Counseling Principles of Good Practice of the National Association of College Admission Counseling.
Engage in scholarly professional development activities to be able to meet the needs of all our students.
- Role of the School Counselor
- Classroom Instruction
- Interdisciplinary Curriculum Development
- Group Activities
- Parent Workshops and Instruction
- Individual Student Planning
- Responsive Services
- Individual and Small-group Counseling
- Crisis Counseling
- Peer Facilitation
- Strategic Interventions
- System Support
- Collaboration and Teaming
- Professional Development
- Data Analysis
NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR STUDENT ACADEMIC, CAREER AND PERSONAL/ SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT
- Students will acquire the attitudes, knowledge, and skills contributing to effective learning in school and across the lifespan.
- Students will complete school with the academic preparation essential to choose from a wide range of substantial post-secondary options, including college.
- Students will understand the relationship of academics to the world of work and to life at home and in the community.
- Students will acquire the skills to investigate the world of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed career decisions.
- Students will employ strategies to achieve future career goals with success and satisfaction.
- Students will understand the relationship between personal qualities, education, training, and the world of work.
- Students will acquire the knowledge, attitudes and interpersonal skills to help them understand and respect self and others.
- Students will make decisions, set goals and take necessary action to achieve goals.
- Students will understand safety and survival skills.
Grades 9-12 FOCUS AREAS
High school years encourage continued awareness and exploration activities, learning is focused on 21st-century skill development, and learning is focused on:
- Transitioning to Post-secondary Career Education, Post-secondary Education, Employment, and/or Enlisting to one of the military branches.
- Improving Academic, Career, and Personal Self-Efficacy
- Respecting Self and Others
- Relating School to Real World Experiences and Situations